How to Write a Good Analysis Paper
When analyzing different issues, like books, poems, and research, we dig deeper into the subject’s essence and get profound knowledge by learning. For this reason, teachers often assign analysis papers to students to immerse them in the problem or topic. To write a good analytical essay, you should follow the general writing requirements and some analysis paper tips provided down the line.
What Is an Analysis Paper: Important Things to Know
Before you start writing your analysis paper, it is better to understand what it implies and the essential issues of such an assignment. So, an analysis paper is an academic writing type where you have to analyze something read, heard, or watched, operating by facts and arguments. Remember that it is not required to summarize or retell the events. Your main task is to explore all the negative and positive aspects. In other words, you have to evaluate the possible impacts of investigated issues.
Do not confuse an analysis paper with a persuasive essay since you should not convince the reader to accept your point of view. So, try to avoid a persuasive tone of language; provide as much evidence as possible to support your arguments, and do not make them sound like empty words. Analytical skills are crucial for any career, so you should develop this ability with every writing assignment.
The Best Way to Start an Analysis Paper
Before writing your work, skim our analysis paper guidelines to achieve success and cope with the task fast. Do not hesitate to spend some hours on preparation since it is not wasting time but thorough analysis and collection of materials, which will assist in reaching the desired outcome.
When you work on an analysis paper, the things you have to do are:
- Revise literature from credible sources;
- Brainstorm ideas;
- Select the argument that you are going to defend;
- Think over thesis statements;
- Find samples to support your arguments.
Since the thesis statement is the central sentence in your essay, you should think about the right formulation. This statement aims to give the reader a general understanding of essay ideas and matters of analysis. So when writing your thesis statement, do not forget to relate each sentence to the thesis to make a logical analysis and conclusion. To handle the thesis statement properly, follow these simple steps:
- Define the chief aim of your analysis. It is impossible to cover numerous ideas and address the whole auditorium of readers. Focus on the key goal and audience you turn to.
- Research all the possible sources to dive into the argument you want to discuss.
- Define the main issues’ parts and how they work separately and interact.
- Using all the collected data, try finding a solution to the problem.
This research will help you prepare for writing by investigating the problem from various sides. Moreover, it will clarify many aspects required for the thesis statement.
How to Structure an Analysis Paper: All You Need to Know
If you do not know how to write an economic analysis paper or hesitate if the structure depends on the subject, stop worrying. We will give detailed instructions on the form of the analysis paper.
A properly written analysis paper should contain an introduction (with thesis), body part, and conclusion like any academic writing. Remember to select the right place for each quotation or evidence you have. Do not mix the structural components, and do not exceed the required scope. Finally, remember to invent a catchy topic that will correspond to the content and reflect the thesis statement discussed in the essay.
How to End an Analysis Paper
Do not forget that by ending your essay, you leave the final impression about your analysis paper. It is obvious that after finishing the analysis paper, there must not be any open questions. There are several useful tips on what to do after completing your analysis paper.
- Revise your essay for spelling and grammar mistakes. Having perfect content may spoil your grades by making several senseless errors. So, we advise you to read your text twice, first paying attention to all the words and phrases and then making all the required grammar adjustments and checking punctuation.
- Re-read the paper aloud. Such a step will help identify strange sentences and detect issues you did not mention before. If you have an opportunity, you may find a listener to make an objective assessment of your analysis paper. Consider their advice and the questions they ask to make all necessary changes and additional information if needed. Remember that your analysis paper must be understandable even for listeners with no clue about the subject of investigation.
- Check details. If you used any proper names in your text, check for the right spelling and consider the correct interpretation of quotations used in your paper. If necessary, you may check all the names and locations using the Internet, do not transliterate since it is unacceptable to use misspelled words in academic writings.
It is normal to devote several hours to making all the necessary amendments when finishing your paper. A polished analysis paper has more chance of getting high grades. So, spend some time not suffering from ridiculous mistakes.
How to Write Analysis Paper Outline
Some students prefer not to waste time on the outline, considering it unnecessary. However, a detailed strategy is like a skeleton of your analysis paper that assists in logically including all the components without missing important details.
It is a starting point of your work and serves as a draft that you may change while writing. Collecting all the necessary arguments and examples, you should write down your ideas and references in the outline so as not to lose anything. So, make a detailed plan of what you will present in your introduction, body, and conclusion, define a good thesis statement, and start working.
Analysis Paper Introduction: The Face of the Paper
An introduction opens your analysis paper, and it should be catchy and grab the attention from the first lines. But not make it rather long and tedious by providing research results and other details. Here, you should explain the topic and present the main methods you will use. A properly written introduction contains:
- A hook
- Background information about the text information
- Transition to the body.
A thesis is a short but essential part of every analysis paper. It informs your reader about the essay’s aim, indicating the key points of discussion and stating the main arguments. The thesis should be clear not to evoke additional questions.
Analysis Paper Body: Ideal Writing
As a rule, a good analysis essay paper has 3-4 main part paragraphs. Each paragraph discloses a different point or issue. Start each section with a sentence that contains the main ideas and supports them with evidence. After that, analyze the main problems providing as much evidence as you have managed to find. You should reach the highest persuasion point. End each paragraph with a transitional sentence. So, the structure of each section will look like this:
- Introductory sentence
- Evidence (citations or samples) as many as you can find
- Transition to the next issue.
In addition, do not try to use all the possible evidence in one paragraph; try to select the strongest to keep a balance and not overload your text with samples only.
What to Include in Analysis Paper Conclusion
The usual part of every paper is a conclusion. Here, you must summarize what you have reached in your analysis, finding an answer to the thesis. Provide the basic ideas, but do not rewrite the essence of the body; just conclude the discussed issues. Your summary should not be too long or too short; get across the main point of analysis to the reader. Remember that you should not add any new information not highlighted in the text above or rewrite conclusions from other works not investigated in your analysis paper. Provide only:
- Paraphrased thesis.
- Summarized key points.
Your reader must understand the obtained results and find answers to all the raised questions without being confused after reading.
If you are interested in how to write an audience analysis paper or other types of analytical writing, you may use our tips. However, the best way to handle writing assignments is to practice. You may also find and skim some successful samples. But try to master an analyzing skill since it is an inevitable part of the educational process and grown-up life. Never start writing without proper background preparation since it is key to success.