70 Literary Essay Topics
- The romantic and interesting story about Romeo and Juliet: beautiful but tragic love.
- Pushkin’s poetry in Russian literature.
- Description of Shakespeare’s “Hamlet”.
- The drama “Canterville Ghost” by Oscar Wilde.
- Describe the main characters in “Of Mice and Men”.
- Life of young people in Sherman Alexie’s novel “Reservation Blues”.
- The struggle in L. Watson’s novella “Montana 1948”.
- J.K. Rowling and her books about Harry Potter: the mysterious story.
- Subject of violence inmate book “The Lovely Bones”.
- The Description of war in “The Red Badge of Courage”.
10 Literary Analysis Essay Topics
- Charming sonnets about love by John Donne.
- The family in D.H. Lawrence’’ story “The Rocking Horse Winner”.
- The huge power of real love in “The Princess Bride” written by William Goldman.
- Morality in W. Goldman’s novella “Lord of The Flies”.
- The most intelligent detective Sherlock Holmes by A. Conan Doyle.
- Subjects of racism “The Color Purple”.
- Hard choice of Elizabeth Bennet in “Pride and Prejudice” by J. Austin.
- Life of ladies in the 17th century in J. Austin’s novel “Emma”.
- Subject of family in A. Walker’s book “Everyday Use”.
- The subject of freedom in Mark Twain’s book “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn”.
10 Literary Theory Essay Topics
- Imperialism problems in “Heart of Darkness” by J. Conrad.
- Subject of escalation and tension in J.M. Coetzee’s book “Waiting for the Barbarians”.
- Theme of human rights in a book “I Have a Dream” by Martin Luther King.
- A message to society: “Beyond Good and Evil” by Nietzsche.
- The power of nature in a book “Into the Wild” by Jon Krakauer.
- Subject of holocaust and inhumanity in a tragic story “Night” by Elie Wiesel.
- The influence of high ambition in Shakespeare’s “Macbeth”.
- Subject of madness in Shakespeare’s tragedy “Hamlet”.
- Characters of Ophelia and Gertrude: how women affect society.
- The main principles of morality in “Hamlet”.
10 Interesting Argumentative Essay on Literary Topics
- Analyze the most important quotes and scenes in “King Lear”.
- Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer: who two different people become friends?
- How F. Scott Fitzgerald described Nick in “The Great Gatsby”.
- Did Gatsby loved Daisy or was he liked only with an idea of her?
- In what ways Gatsby is great? Does he really deserve to be called “great”?
- Subjects of racism in the book “To Kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee.
- Conflict of real world and fantasy in “A Streetcar Named Desire” by Tennessee Williams.
- The war in Stephen Crane’s poems “War in King”.
- John Donne’s religious sonnets.
- How did Shakespeare show revenge in “Hamlet”?
10 English Literature Essay Topics
- What caused Ophelia committing a suicide?
- Who is the more evil character – Lady Macbeth or her husband?
- What contribution does King Duncan make to Shakespeare’s “Macbeth”.
- A story of love between Hamlet and Ophelia.
- Does Hamlet deserve to be a national hero?
- Feminism in Shakespeare’s play “Romeo and Juliet”.
- Machismo character of Tybalt.
- Love between Romeo and Rosaline and between Romeo and Juliet.
- Subject of the love of teens in “Romeo and Juliet”.
- Who can we blame for the deaths of Juliet and Romeo?
10 Literary Essay Topics on Romeo and Juliet
- Romance or tragedy: define the genre of the famous Shakespeare’s story.
- Why did Shakespeare describe love as a cruel thing?
- The character of Romeo: a hero or a man without a will?
- Who is responsible for two deaths in the play?
- Would it be possible to avoid the deaths of Romeo and Juliet?
- Describe relationships between Tybalt and Mercutio.
- Did Juliet and Romeo truly love each other?
- Describe positive and negative characters from Shakespeare’s story.
- Compare the play with the movie version from 2013.
- What’s special in a love story between two teenagers?
10 Literary Essay Topics Ideas
- Describe your favorite character from the book.
- Make a comparison between positive and negative characters from any story.
- Make a literary essay based on the book you read recently.
- Compare modern literature of different countries.
- Your favorite book.
- Your favorite writer.
- Do you prefer reading books or watching movies?
- The last book you bought.
- Your favorite poem.
- Write about your favorite Shakespear’s play.
Tips on How to Select Literary Essay Topics
If you are required to create a literary analysis essay, it’s important to choose an interesting and extraordinary subject that will catch your readers’ attention. We offer you to read our big list of 70 bright topics for a great literary essay that may be helpful for you to get an interesting idea for your writing.
Needless to say that it’s much harder to create a literary essay when you have to select a topic on your own. When a teacher gives you a specific topic for writing, it may be easier to start your work, but even if you’re required to make an essay on a subject of your choice, you can search for literary essay subjects and get some ideas for writing.
Before starting your paper, make a clear outline that will help you a lot during writing. Some people think the idea of making an outline is useless, but here are benefits:
- The outline is a clear plan that will help you to create your work step by step.
- You won’t forget any important things because it will be noted in the outline.
- You will save your time.
- Your finished work will look solid and logical.
For many people, writing this type of essay may seem too difficult. It is quite understandable, because making an interesting essay on literary topics requires good writing skills, ability to analyze and find the needed information, etc. Of course, you can practice for days and months, and after some time you may get good results. But what if you need your work to be finished by next week, but you have no idea how to start? This situation is very unpleasant, but there is a simple solution to the problem. All you have to do is contact a “write my paper help” service and order your essay online. Trust real professionals and get a successful paper in time!